Sunday, August 9, 2020

Shelf life of 21 days or more could save red meat waste, say UK industry...









Read full article here: https://readnews.io/o5cpd9







Use-by dates on red meat in the UK should be extended, say industry experts who are lobbying the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to endorse scrapping the current 10-day cap and extending it to 21 days or more. According to 2008 guidance from the FSA, clarified in 2017, the shelf life of either vacuum- or gas-packaged fresh meat kept at 3-8C should be limited to 10 days unless suitable grounds for a longer shelf life can be identified, such as high salt content or low pH. Industry experts are contesting the guidelines, calling for a return to the previous situation in which manufacturers and retailers determined use-by dates, a shift that could see the shelf life of packaged and chilled red meat extended to three weeks or more. We didnt need this 10-day cap, it was ridiculous this was brought in, said David Lindars, the technical operations director of the British Meat Processors Association (BMPA),, adding that legislation already stated that food must be proven safe for the given shelf life. Beef is safe at 21 days.  You can go beyond that, he said, adding 21 days is simply a common timeframe used in marketing beef. A report by the BMPA and Meat and Livestock Australia Limited, published last year with support from a host of supermarkets, contested the FSAs guidelines, finding a maximum shelf life at 3-8C of up to 23 days for beef, 27 days for lamb, and 18 days for pork provided a high level of protection against Clostridium botulinum, the bacterium behind life-threatening botulism poisoning. The report also revealed results from experiments in which samples of meat were exposed to such bacteria and kept at 8C.  The results, it said, showed that beef did not become toxic before day 50, lamb before day 35, and pork before day 25. The report suggested ditching the 10-day shelf-life cap would not only benefit retailers and producers, but could also help to reduce food waste. According to Wrap, the Waste and Resources Action Programme,

Eviction crisis looms as COVID-19s next catastrophe









Read full article here: https://readnews.io/it3pvm







After many years of being looked down on, motels are getting new respect in the era of social distancing. Guests at open-corridor inns may come and go without passing through crowded lobbies, packed elevators or enclosed hallways where viruses may linger. In outdoor corridors, people feel safe, said Mike Riverside of the Asian American Hotel Owners Association.  People can go directly to their rooms and potentially reduce exposure to the coronavirus. Outdoor-facing, low-rise motels and hotels also stand to benefit from being typically reached by car, unlike big resorts and urban hotels that rely on air travel to deliver most guests.  With many still apprehensive about flying, drive-to destinations are widely expected to be the first beneficiaries of the gradual return of pleasure jaunts away from home. There is pent-up demand for leisure travel and nobody is too excited to share an elevator, said Patrick Scholes, an analyst who follows the lodging and leisure industries for investment bank SunTrust Robinson Humphrey.  For the moment, it definitely does give you an advantage to have outdoor corridors in your hotel. Inns where every guests front door opens to the elements loom large in the collective memories of Americans, but they are for the most part relics of the 20th century car culture that gave middle-class people the chance to explore their country.  At the beginning of auto travel, overnight options were mostly limited to proper city-style hotels or camping near the side of the road. Soon bare-bones cabin camps made up of individual shacks sprang up around rural gas stations.  Many were so primitive that mattresses and sheets cost extra. By the 1930s, according to Smithsonian Magazine, a classier alternative emerged known as cottage courts, made up of tiny cookie-cutter cottages built around a public lawn.  Gas stations and restaurants began to appear nearby, and the freedom of the road gained a romantic allure.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

More pain for Freo as Walters ruled out







Read full article here: https://readnews.io/e5u83b



Nat Fyfe could return to face Collingwood on Sunday, but theres bad news for a number of his teammates. Michael Walters (hamstring) and Jesse Hogan (calf) will miss the clash with the Pies, while it has been confirmed young Darcy Tucker wont play again this season. Darcy was forced forward (in the match against Geelong) and it damaged the hamstring, Fremantles high performance manager Jason Weber said. Hell be going for surgery later this week and well move forward from there. Jesse (Hogan) ran this morning with the group and looks like another week probably. Weber was unable to give a return date on Walters, who limped off late in the loss to Geelong. He joins defenders Alex Pearce (season), Joel Hamling (no timeframe given), Griffin Logue (seven-nine weeks), Hayden Young (7-11 weeks) and Sam Switkowski (on timeframe given) on the sidelines. He cramped quite late, he came off and we kept him off as a precaution, Weber said. At this stage, its just a watch and see to see how he recovers. Stephen Hill is set to miss at least another week due to an adductor strain, while Sam Sturt (ankle) and Stefan Giro (ankle) are also sidelined. Stefans been really good, hes turned a corner a couple of weeks ago so were looking to try and progress him into football this week and, hopefully, see him back from a long lay-off in the next few weeks, Weber said. Sams probably gone a little bit slower than we hoped with his ankle. He had damage from a marking contest at the end of training a couple of weeks ago. Hes progressing along and were looking forward to seeing him in a few weeks. In some rare good news on the injury front for Fremantle, Fyfe (hamstring) trained strongly on Wednesday with a decision to be made on Friday. Nats had a really strong training progression over the past couple of weeks, Weber said. He had an excellent session this morning with the group and

People must not pay more fares when booking tickets via travel agents on...







Read full article here: https://readnews.io/2n61t9



NEW DELHI: Passengers booking tickets through travel agents on international flightsoperating under the Vande Bharat Missionmust not pay more than the fares mentioned on Air Indias website, the Civil Aviation Ministry said on Wednesday. Scheduled international passenger flights continue to remain suspended in India since March 23 amid the coronaviruspandemic. However, since May 6, international charter flights have been operated by Air India under the Vande Bharat Mission to help stranded people reach their destinations. Private carriers have also operated a certain number of flights under this mission. "Passengers booking tickets for #VBM flights through travel agents, may please note that they should not pay more than the fares mentioned on the Air India website. Passengers facing issues of overcharging by travel agents may write to gmsm@airindia. in," the ministry said on Twitter. India had on July 16 formed bilateral air bubbles with countries like the US, Germany and France that allows airlines of both the countries in the pact to operate special international charter flights. The aviation sector has been significantly impacted due to the travel restrictions imposed in India and other countries in view of the coronavirus pandemic. All airlines in India have taken cost-cutting measures such as pay cuts, leave without pay and firing of employees in order to conserve cash. India resumed domestic passenger flights from May 25 after a gap of two months due to the coronavirus pandemic. The airlines have been allowed to operate only a maximum of 45 per cent of their pre-Coviddomestic flights. However, occupancy rate in Indian domestic flights has been around just 50-60 per cent since May 25.

FIFA ratifies coronavirus relief for football bodies | Football News - T...







Read full article here: https://readnews.io/q8x4i3



FIFA has ratified a coronavirus relief planthat will make $1. 5 billion available to football communitiesand national associationsaround the world. All of the 211 FIFA member associations will receive a $1 million grant "to protect and restart football" and can access interest-free loans of up to $5 million. Each member association will also receive an additional $500,000 grant for womens football during the plans third phase. The massive spending plan aims to help mens and womens professional football as well as youth and grassroots soccer through a system of grants and loans. Each of the six football confederations will also receive a grant of $2 million. FIFA expects to make the funds available by January 2021.

Coronavirus: Researchers identify six different types of COVID-19





Read full article here: https://readnews.io/3f8k65







Symptoms developed within the first week of the onset of a COVID-19 infection can determine the likelihood of a patient requiring serious medical attention by the end of week two, according to researchers at Kings College in London. The new study, which wasnt peer-reviewed but was replicated in an independent data set, could help doctors identify the patients who require care and treat them earlier, possibly saving lives.  It showed a wide variety of outcomes and symptoms, some of which hadnt previously been strongly connected to COVID-19. These findings have important implications for care and monitoring of people who are most vulnerable to severe COVID-19, Dr.  Claire Steves, of Kings College, said in a release.  If you can predict who these people are at day five, you have time to give them support and early interventions  simple care that could be given at home, preventing hospitalizations and saving lives. There were six distinct types of the virus that appeared in different clusters of symptoms in patients by the fifth day symptoms set in, according to an analysis of about 1,600 patients in the U. S.  and U. K.  who logged their symptoms during March and April.  Most COVID-19 patients who require breathing support first visit a hospital around the 13th day after their first symptoms, researchers said, potentially shaving eight days off the typical timeline before medical intervention. The six clusters can be broken down into two groups: three clusters of less severe symptoms  more prevalent in younger and healthier patients  and three clusters defined as severe symptoms, which were more likely to come in patients who were older or had preexisting conditions. The researchers break them down as such, in order of severity with their key distinctions in bold:The first group made up the largest share of participants, with a sample of 462, while there were 315 in the second group, 216 in the third, 280 in

Tesla engineer upgrades chocolate chips





Read full article here: https://readnews.io/mzr4p3





Silicon Valley, long obsessed with computer chips, is now disrupting chocolate ones. Remy Labesque, a Los-Angeles based industrial engineer working for Elon Musks Tesla, has re-engineered the chocolate chip for the optimization-obsessed set. Thirty bucks gets you 17. 6 ounces, or about 142, of the expertly forged chocolate geodes, which are molded to melt at the right rate, according to Todd Masonis, co-founder of San FranciscosDandelion Chocolate, which makes and sells the chips. According to Masonis, typical mass-produced chips, chunks, squares and discs cant compete with his chocolate chip 2. 0. The standard way that everyone makes chocolate chips is that its deposited off the factory line, but thats not the best way to taste it, said the startup founder turned chocolate purveyor, who has a degree in symbolic systems with a specialty in computational linguistics. His flattened pyramid-like structures feature thick middles and thinly tapered edges.  A 15-degree slope, according to blueprints for the morsel, creates a glossy finish when baked. BARTENDERS UNEXPECTED DEATH INSPIRES OTHERS TO LEAVE GENEROUS TIPS FOR SERVERSMasonis said it took years to realize Labesques original multifaceted mold.  We did 3-D renderings of different options for shapes, test prints of a few molds and, of course, baking tests, he said.  The goal? To emphasize the complex chips cacao bean essence, which is said to have notes of chocolate buttercream frosting and banana. We found that if you take a huge chunk of chocolate and put it in your mouth, that taste can be overwhelming, said Masonis.  The flat shape helps slow down the experience. The single-origin chocolate is carefully tempered  a process where chocolate is heated then cooled to create a hard shell  and is designed to melt without ruining the structural integrity of its mold-cast hard edge.  The perfect chip weight, according to the engineers, is 4.